Makeup in your best colours
We all know that some rules are there to be broken, right? But sometimes it’s nice to have the rules in place for those times when you’re feeling a little less than confident, and make up is one area where a lot of us feel nervous.
Getting your make up right can help you to be more outgoing, have more fun and feel that you’ve put the metaphorical cherry on top of your outfit, but get it wrong and it’s an evening of rushing to the loos to repeatedly check your appearance or spending the evening wondering whether your look is less ‘flawless dewy finish’ and more ‘ageing sweaty panda’.
However, stick to our simple rules for perfect party make up, and you can stride out confident in the knowledge that your make up is fabulously festive and doing nothing except adding to your appearance and confidence.
- Pick colours that flatter you. Easier said than done, but if you’ve had a colour analysis you’ll know your best neutrals, and the bolder shades that go with them. For eyes, stick to dark neutrals paired with your best version of light cream/taupe/grey. For statement lips, simply choose your best red or pink from your palette.
- Use a primer if you want your make up to last. There are loads available now at a range of prices, so head to your local Boots and try a few. Try it out for the first time on a day when you can check your appearance a few times, so you can double check that it doesn’t make you shiny and does actually do what it promises. You can get separate eye primers, which are great if you have greasy lids, but often unnecessary otherwise.
- Smoky eyes OR statement lips. It’s an old rule, but it’s a good one to stick to if you’re not feeling super confident about your application. Keep one neutral/nude and go wild on the other one. As an aside to this rule, I have a personal rule that I go for eyes if I am likely to be eating greasy food, as I know I will forget to touch up my lipstick after eating and end up with a frightening bright red ring around the edges of my lips. Those of you who can be trusted to look after your own appearance probably don’t have this issue.
- Don’t fear the sparkle! Heck, it’s Christmas, there’s only so many times a year it’s appropriate to sparkle, so if you’ve always wanted to try it, now’s the time.
- Remember your nails – I know it’s not exactly make up, but if you want to keep the make up really light, add your statement colour on your nails. Your palette is your oyster when it comes to choosing nail varnish shades. Add a sparkly top coat over ‘your’ navy for a grown up party look.
If you’re still stuck for ideas, we’ve rounded up our favourite eye and lip looks for each season. Remember, stick to your personal colour palette and you can’t go far wrong.